Saturday, October 3, 2015

Things we learned (September 28 - Oct. 2)

During Math block, we are still learning about graphing. A worksheet was provided for them to graph about school supplies.
 
 
After answering, the children are called one by one and asked the following questions below. I asked them to read the questions and let them answer.


 
Posted on the entrance door is a question that I wanted the children to see. This exercise will be a think share pair where they will help each other make a pictograph or picture graph.

 
We were reading books about art by Peter Reynolds entitled (1) The Dot (2) Ish and (3) Sky Colors. Then, Ethan suggested that they will vote about which book is the one that the class liked the most. So, I have decided to make next week as a time to 'campaign' for their favourite book. We will have certain groups do their posters and hang it outside our classrooms. People will explain why they should vote for their books. Then, we will draw our ballots and count them. In this exercise, we have done (1) survey (2) tally (3) graphing. Also, a strand in language called Media Literacy which is about how media plays an important role in our world today.



We have outlined the steps to do graphing. I wanted to emphasize the vocabulary necessary for this Math unit.
 
We have also graphed finally about our eye colours and talked about the most eye colours, the least eye colours and comparing them by finding out how many more a certain eye colour has than another one. Then, we had a worksheet and graphed the chart individually so that they will get the impression of actually doing the task of graphing by themselves.


 
We also talked about our birthday graph. Once again, we compared the differences among the months. And many kids noted there was no one in March.



For Art, I read the favourite story of kids, The Rainbow Fish. It teaches about sharing among friends. Then, we created our own rainbow fishes using Japanese paper of different colours, hardstock paper, pastels, crayons and markers.
 

For Social Studies, Ms. Katyal and I are teaching about timelines, the important events in a life of a person. As another example, I made my own timeline and tried to make it as authentic as possible. I even had to tell my story when I was in the hospital for a year. Now, the kids have asked the question over and over again during circle time, "Why am I not married?". How can I answer them in the most honest way that will make them stop asking the question? LOL! I told them that I was not lucky as their Mom and Dad who have met each other. And I have not met anyone that makes me want to get married. In other words, I just left it that I am not lucky in love. LOL! I hope it satifies their little questioning minds about my love life.

 
We learned about our words for the 'Dd'.


 
Enjoy!









No comments:

Post a Comment